Posted September 12, 2022
The Doubletree BWI is now seeking an Energetic, Entrepreneurial Culinary Professional.
POSITION SUMMARY The Company operates 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, so operational demands require variations in shift days, starting and ending times, and hours worked in a week.
The Executive Chef directs all aspects of Kitchen operations including guest service, sales, accounting/budgeting, asset protection, inventory control and human resources. The Executive Chef directs all operations in alignment with the direction of the General Manager, Company, brand standards, and local, state and national regulations. Responsible for quality service, meeting/exceeding financial goals, short and long term planning and day-to-day operations. Recommends the Kitchen budget, marketing/business plans, capital expenditures and manages within approved plans and objectives.
This position directly manages assigned staff and indirectly manages all subordinates. Articulates Company goals to the staff. Demonstrates commitment to these goals through work ethic, integrity and respect for the Company and associates. Unites associates in a common commitment to achieve and exceed these goals. Works closely with management throughout the hotel and the Company. Impresses guests with quality and timely service in a pleasant and friendly manner.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Guest Satisfaction – Direct and ensure Kitchen standards and procedures are followed. Direct Kitchen staff schedules to ensure adequate coverage while managing the department budget. Ensure timely response to guest needs. Resolve guest complaints as appropriate to maintain guest satisfaction. Regularly review service scores to identify areas needing improvement and implement appropriate changes. Ensure the Kitchen staff regularly adheres to all guest service basics such as uniforms, name tags and proper guest greeting. Be knowledgeable on hotel facilities, services and the city to assist guests as appropriate.
• Human Resources – In conjunction with the Human Resources department, direct recruiting, hiring, training, development and retention of a motivated and efficient Kitchen staff. Clearly communicate to associates the standards of performance and their role in contributing to individual and team success. Ensure all required training occurs including orientation, safety, fire, and blood-borne pathogen. Coach, counsel, resolve conflicts, discipline and terminate as appropriate through fair treatment and in compliance with Company policies and procedures. Conduct associate performance and salary reviews in a timely manner and in accordance with Company guidelines. Ensure all policies and procedures are followed. Insist on a work environment that is free from harassment. Promote the hotel as an employer of choice in the community.
• Sales/Profitability – Develop, recommend, implement and manage the Kitchen annual budget, business/marketing plan, and objectives to meet/exceed expectations. In conjunction with Sales, market Food & Beverage to meet/exceed sales and financial objectives. Investigate new and improved menus, food preparation, and service methods. Develop and direct implementation of menus, displays and presentations to capture more guests and a larger share of the local market. Ensure kitchen costs are within budgeted guidelines. Review vendors and products to ensure procurement of top quality products at minimum prices. If necessary, develop action steps to correct any expense problems. Submit recommendations for changes and improvements to the General Manager.
• Life Safety/Risk Management – Assist the General Manager with hotel life safety. Direct and promote an accident prevention program to minimize liabilities and related expenses. Ensure appropriate Kitchen sanitary, safety, security and emergency procedures are in place, followed and comply with policies, standards and regulations. Ensure the staff is proficient in sanitary, safety security and emergency procedures. Notify the General Manager of any potential liability and propose proper course of action to prevent the hotel from incurring any such liability. Make recommendations to the General Manager on additional safeguards as appropriate. Practice safe work habits.
• Asset Management - Walk the operations daily to identify issues and to speak with and listen to associates. Ensure associates are properly trained in food storage, handling, preparation, cooking and plating. Ensure associates are properly trained to use the equipment and in sanitary procedures. Ensure adequate controls are installed and maintained for the protection of the hotel’s financial assets against loss or misappropriation. Ensure preventative maintenance programs are in place to protect assets and maintenance related problems are reported to Engineering through proper channels. Inspect and evaluate the condition of the Kitchen areas, equipment and food and beverage inventories. Submit recommendations for changes and improvements to the General Manager. Work collaboratively with the Corporate Office to ensure Company assets are accurately tracked. Ensure associates are properly trained in the use and maintenance of Company assets.
• Leadership – Direct all facets of Kitchen services. Keep abreast of brand standards and the competition's products and strengths to continually improve revenues and profit margins while maintaining quality. Use business/management knowledge, applications in the industry, and experiences to provide leadership, both internally and externally, to assist the General Manager in positioning the hotel as a market leader. Be a coach with a positive attitude on a daily basis. Implement, manage and comply with Company policies, practices and programs. Ensure compliance with brand standards and local, state and national regulations. Ensure optimal levels of quality service and hospitality are provided to guests. Regular and timely attendance with high standards of personal behavior, appearance and grooming including wearing the proper nametag when working.
• Communication – Ensure all communication containing Company, hotel, brand and guest information is consistent with privacy policies, practices and regulations. Maintain a consistent professional and positive attitude when communicating with guests and associates. Maintain effective two-way communications that crosses departmental lines. Approach all encounters and actions with guests and associates in a friendly, service oriented manner. Conduct regularly scheduled meetings with the Kitchen staff to provide organizational information and educate associates on changes and activities. Communicate Kitchen activities and plans with peers and superiors to obtain appropriate consultation, guidance and approval.
• Administration – Direct the compilation and analyze various corporate reports and property reports to provide management with accurate information and to comply with corporate policies and procedures as well as government laws and regulations. Complete all required and requested reporting in a timely and accurate manner. Perform special projects and other responsibilities as assigned. Participate in task forces and committees as requested. As requested, assist the General Manager with the preparation of the annual hotel budget and forecasts.
QUALIFICATIONS The Company may consider equivalent combination of acceptable education and experience providing the knowledge, skills and abilities cited below.
Education and Experience:
High school education plus a degree in culinary arts or related major. Five or more years of related experience. Alcohol awareness certification and familiarity with hospitality industry practices preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
This position requires a substantial and successful track record in profitable Kitchen management while maintaining integrity and professional bearing. Possess knowledge of accounting and budgeting along with the ability to compile facts/figures and analyze information that involves data manipulation or interpretation to arrive at logical conclusions. Ability to anticipate and identify issues and exercise initiative to investigate, interpret and weigh alternatives to reach logical conclusions and make sound business decisions.
Display consistent professional leadership while simultaneously handling competing and changing priorities and projects. Remain positive, resourceful and possess the ability to improvise while working in a fast-paced environment, sometimes under pressure.
The ability to effectively and efficiently schedule, manage and delegate work. Appropriately and effectively interview, hire, motivate, develop, monitor and address staff performance matters. Possess excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills with professionalism, diplomacy and confidentiality.
Computer proficiency in Microsoft office along with the ability to travel when needed. Must satisfy and comply with the legal requirements for employment within the jurisdiction.
Working Conditions & Physical Effort:
Work is normally performed in an interior hotel environment. While performing job duties, the associate speaks, listens, completes documents, processes requests and operates office equipment such as a telephone, calculator, computer, copier and fax. Physical requirements include extended periods of standing and/or walking, bending, reaching, pulling, pushing, kneeling, and lifting up to 50 pounds. The work involves some exposure to extreme temperatures, chemicals, dirt, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises. The exposure to hazards or physical risks requires following basic safety precautions and use of applicable protective equipment. The job requires close vision with or without corrective lenses. This position is required to operate a motor vehicle.
890 Elkridge Landing Road
Linthicum, MD 21090
Telephone (410) 859-8400
260 Room Hotel
The newly renovated DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore - BWI Airport boasts a new lobby and a fully refurbished bar and restaurant. Our hotel is located in an office park, convenient to businesses in Baltimore, Maryland and Washington, DC.
Guests can begin their visit with our signature warm Chocolate Chip Cookie. In each guest room guests will find a luxurious Sweet Dreams® bed, a spacious work area, 37-inch HDTV and complimentary WiFi. After a good night's sleep, we invite our guests to start their day with our Wake Up DoubleTree Breakfast™. We also have Eden’s Landing restaurant to sample American dishes with a regional twist for breakfast, lunch and dinner or to relax with a cocktail and an appetizer.
We are ready to host a business meeting, wedding or special event in our 10,000 sq. ft. conference center. Our experienced catering and banquet staff provide the perfect setting for any occasion. Our 24-hour business center, A/V support and complimentary WiFi in public areas help ensure a successful event.