Posted January 21, 2020
Cooking is your passion and The Art of Hospitality gets your blood flowing.
The Sous Chef manages staff and day-to-day kitchen operations including planning and managing the production and presentation of quality food in a cost effective, safe manner. Creates and recommends menu changes to achieve guest satisfaction. The Sous Chef manages responsibilities in alignment with senior management, Company policies and procedures, brand standards and local, state and national regulations. Responsible for quality service, meeting/exceeding financial and service goals, and managing within approved plans and objectives. Contributes to and recommends budget, capital expenditures, inventory controls, sales and business plans, and short/long term planning. Reports, investigates and resolves violations to internal controls, policies, procedures, standards and regulations.
This position directly manages assigned staff and indirectly manages all subordinates. Articulates Company goals to the staff. Demonstrates commitment to these goals through work ethic, integrity and respect for the Company and associates. Unites associates in a common commitment to achieve and exceed these goals. Works closely with management throughout the hotel and the Company. Impresses guests with quality and timely service in a pleasant and friendly manner.
- Guest Satisfaction – Direct and ensure Kitchen standards and procedures are followed. Direct Kitchen staff schedules to ensure adequate coverage while managing the department budget. Ensure timely response to guest needs. Regularly review service scores to identify areas needing improvement and implement appropriate changes. Ensure the Kitchen staff regularly adheres to all guest service basics such as uniforms, name tags and proper guest greeting. Be knowledgeable on hotel facilities, services and the city to assist guests as appropriate.
- Human Resources – In conjunction with the Human Resources department, recruiting, hiring, training, development and retention of a motivated and efficient Kitchen staff. Clearly communicate to associates the standards of performance and their role in contributing to individual and team success. Ensure all required training occurs including orientation, safety, fire, and blood-borne pathogen. Conduct associate performance and salary reviews in a timely manner and in accordance with Company guidelines. Ensure all policies and procedures are followed.Insist on a work environment that is free from harassment.Promote the hotel as an employer of choice in the community.
- Sales/Profitability – Develop, recommend, implement and manage the Kitchen annual budget, business/marketing plan, and objectives to meet/exceed expectations. In conjunction with Sales, market Food & Beverage to meet/exceed sales and financial objectives. Investigate new and improved menus, food preparation, and service methods. Develop and direct implementation of menus, displays and presentations to capture more guests and a larger share of the local market. Ensure kitchen costs are within budgeted guidelines. Review vendors and products to ensure procurement of top quality products at minimum prices. If necessary, develop action steps to correct any expense problems. Submit recommendations for changes and improvements to the General Manager.
- Life Safety/Risk Management – Assist the General Manager with hotel life safety. Direct Ensure appropriate Kitchen sanitary, safety, security and emergency procedures are in place, followed. Ensure the staff is proficient in sanitary, safety security and emergency procedures. Make recommendations to the General Manager on additional safeguards as appropriate.Practice safe work habits.
- Asset Management - Walk the operations daily to identify issues and to speak with and listen to associates.Ensure associates are properly trained in food storage, handling, preparation, cooking and plating. Ensure associates are properly trained to use the equipment and in sanitary procedures. Ensure adequate controls are installed and maintained for the protection of the hotel’s financial assets against loss or misappropriation. Ensure preventative maintenance programs are in place to protect assets and maintenance related problems are reported to Engineering through proper channels. Inspect and evaluate the condition of the Kitchen areas, equipment and food and beverage inventories.Submit recommendations for changes and improvements to the General Manager. Work collaboratively with the Corporate Office to ensure Company assets are accurately tracked.Ensure associates are properly trained in the use and maintenance of Company assets.
- Leadership – Direct all facets of Kitchen services. Keep abreast of brand standards and the competition's products and strengths to continually improve revenues and profit margins while maintaining quality. Use business/management knowledge, applications in the industry, and experiences to provide leadership, both internally and externally, to assist the General Manager in positioning the hotel as a market leader. Be a coach with a positive attitude on a daily basis. Implement, manage and comply with Company policies, practices and programs. Ensure compliance with brand standards and local, state and national regulations. Ensure optimal levels of quality service and hospitality are provided to guests. Regular and timely attendance with high standards of personal behavior, appearance and grooming including wearing the proper nametag when working.
- Communication – Ensure all communication containing Company, hotel, brand and guest information is consistent with privacy policies, practices and regulations. Maintain a consistent professional and positive attitude when communicating with guests and associates. Maintain effective two-way communications that crosses departmental lines. Approach all encounters and actions with guests and associates in a friendly, service oriented manner. Conduct regularly scheduled meetings with the Kitchen staff to provide organizational information and educate associates on changes and activities. Communicate Kitchen activities and plans with peers and superiors to obtain appropriate consultation, guidance and approval.
- Administration – Direct the compilation and analyze various corporate reports and property reports to provide management with accurate information and to comply with corporate policies and procedures as well as government laws and regulations. Complete all required and requested reporting in a timely and accurate manner. Perform special projects and other responsibilities as assigned. Participate in task forces and committees as requested. As requested, assist the General Manager with the preparation of the annual hotel budget and forecasts.
The ideal candidate for this position
Education and Experience:
High school education plus schooling in culinary arts, hotel and restaurant management or related major. Three or more years of related experience. Familiarity with hospitality industry practices preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
Possess knowledge of culinary arts, food & beverage service, hospitality, business and basic accounting principles and practices. Possess organizational skills that result in accurate, timely and thorough work. Ability to effectively and efficiently manage daily operations and resolve operational problems. Ability to appropriately interview, hire, schedule, motivate, train, monitor and address staff performance.
Ability to compile facts and figures and analyze information which involves data manipulation or interpretation to arrive at logical conclusions. Ability to anticipate and identify issues and exercise initiative to investigate, interpret and reach logical conclusions and make sound business decisions.
Possess strong listening, verbal and written communication skills with professionalism, diplomacy and confidentiality. Display consistent professional leadership while simultaneously handling competing and changing priorities and projects. Remain positive, resourceful and possess the ability to improvise while working in a fast-paced environment, sometimes under pressure.
Knowledge of and ability to operate a computer, calculator, phone and other office equipment. Must satisfy and comply with the legal requirements for employment within the jurisdiction.
In addition, the ideal candidate for this position embodies the Vision, Mission, and Values of Hilton. Specifically, we look for the demonstration of these Values:
H - Hospitality - We're passionate about delivering exceptional guest experiences
I - Integrity - We do the right thing, all the time
L - Leadership - We're leaders in our industry and in our communities
T - Teamwork - We're team players in everything we do
O - Ownership - We're the owners of our actions and decisions
N - Now - We operate with a sense of urgency and discipline
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Baltimore - BWI Airport
260 Room Hotel
Apply to be a member of our TPG Hotels & Resorts family,
a Top 10 Hotel Management Team and "hospitality employer of choice!"
At A Glance
The newly renovated DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore - BWI Airport boasts a new lobby and a fully refurbished bar and restaurant. Our hotel is located in an office park, convenient to businesses in Baltimore, Maryland and Washington, DC.
Guests can begin their visit with our signature warm Chocolate Chip Cookie. In each guest room guests will find a luxurious Sweet Dreams® bed, a spacious work area, 37-inch HDTV and complimentary WiFi. After a good night's sleep, we invite our guests to start their day with our Wake Up DoubleTree Breakfast™. We also have Eden’s Landing restaurant to sample American dishes with a regional twist for breakfast, lunch and dinner or to relax with a cocktail and an appetizer.
We are ready to host a business meeting, wedding or special event in our 10,000 sq. ft. conference center. Our experienced catering and banquet staff provide the perfect setting for any occasion. Our 24-hour business center, A/V support and complimentary WiFi in public areas help ensure a successful event.
- Hotel rooms near BWI; complimentary shuttle to and from BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport
- Located 8.2 miles from M & T Bank Stadium, home of the Baltimore Ravens
- Full-service hotel restaurant near BWI airport
- 10,000 sq. ft. of ballroom and Baltimore meeting room space
- Multilingual staff to accommodate international travelers
890 Elkridge Landing Road
Linthicum, MD 21090
Telephone (410) 859-8400